Sunday, December 23, 2007

Sharm el-Sheikh








We are now staying in Sharm el-Sheikh, a city situated on the Red Sea on the Sinai Peninsula. It is a very touristy city and has a much different feel then the rest of Egypt because of this. 70% of the tourists here are Russian, and there are very very few from the United States. We originally put it on our itinerary so that Jessie could dive in the Red Sea and because it is only a few hours away from Mt. Sinai, where we are scheduled to go tomorrow morning.

Yesterday, we headed out on a boat to Ras Mohammed National Park and 2 other diving spots. Jessie went diving, I went snorkeling, and TJ went in to town to explore. The sky was clear, the air pretty cold, and the water really rough. I did ok with the rough waters until I got in the water to snorkel. Luckily I was able to see beautiful reefs, fish, and a turtle before I ran straight to the bathroom and joined many others on the boat in being sick for the rest of the trip. Jessie enjoyed the diving as well, but with the rough waters it wasn't nearly what the book had explained it to be.

You can see from the pictures how beautiful the scenery here is. You can also see our boat pulling another boat to shore, because it broke down with the mornings storm.

We continue to enjoy the relaxed environment here and we head up to the mountain late tonight.

No comments: